Learn about Household Mold and How to Prevent It.

Kitchen Sink, Kitchen MoldThe best time to learn about the dangers of household mold is now. It can have a long-lasting, detrimental effect on your physical and even mental health. Although a little bleach and water can remove visible mold in the home, it does little to protect you from the unseen dangers.

Household Mold – What is it?

Molds are simple, microscopic organisms that thrive indoor and outdoors in any environment. Molds, which include mushrooms and yeast, are fungi that are necessary to break down dead material and recycle nutrients in the environment. Molds reproduce through tiny spores that are invisible to the naked eye. The spores float through the air and may grow rapidly indoors when they land on wet surfaces in your home. Add heat and humidity above 50% and you have mold that proliferates rapidly. Although there are many types of mold, none of them will grow without moisture or water. While toxic mold sounds both terrifying and catchy, it’s not the mold that is toxic but the spores it produces. Molds that include S. chartarum, Fusarium, and Trichoderma release spores that include dangerous substances called mycotoxins. Once they become airborne and you inhale them, they absorb into your skin and intestines. In addition to toxic spores, these molds produce gases that release mycotoxins.

Read more »