Risk of carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the winter and stormier seasons as use of gas furnaces and generators increases dramatically. Although you cannot see or smell carbon monoxide, it is responsible for more deaths than any other poison. This colorless, odorless poison is dangerous at any level including low levels which can get a person very sick, moderate levels can result in permanent neurological dysfunctions, or worse at high levels carbon monoxide may result in death.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can result whenever any fuel such as gas, kerosene, oil, wood, or charcoal is burned. The amount of carbon monoxide emitted from appliances that burn fuel yet are maintained and used properly is typically not hazardous. However, if appliances are either used incorrectly or not working properly, then dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can result. In fact, literally hundreds of accidental deaths are caused every year from carbon monoxide poisoning that results from malfunctioning or improperly used fuel-burning appliances.
Below are a few tips on how you can protect your family and yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning:
Read more »